Submissions Guide for 2022-23
The Indie Acoustic Project is now accepting submissions for the IAP’s Best CDs of 2020-21 Awards.
Any album or EP (at least 12 minutes long with at least 3 songs) that:
- Has at least some acoustic instrumentation
- Has been (or will have been) released for sale to the public during 2022 or 2023 by any entity other than a major US label.
- One award per category will be given in the following categories: Acoustic Ensemble, Adult Album Alternative (AAA), Alt Country, Alt Rock, Americana , Best Lyrics, Celtic, Instrumental, Jazz, Latin, Multi-Genre, Progressive Edge, Rock, Singer-Songwriter, World Music
Recordings released by a non-major but distributed by a major label do qualify for consideration.
A cash award of $250 will be awarded for the 2022-23 Album of the Year, chosen from among the 2022-2023 winners.
For albums released on CD:
Please submit a copy of each qualifying CD to:
Indie Acoustic Project
570 Union Avenue
Boulder, Colorado 80304
For albums released via download:
Email a link (and a download code if required in order to download), to jon(at)indieacoustic.com.
The Fine Print:
- The Best CD Awards are a public service of the Indie Acoustic Project, so there is no charge of any kind for any aspect of these awards. Every submission will be given consideration for the awards.
- Please submit a copy of each qualifying CD (or for downloads, email a link and download code, if required) that you or your record label released in 2022-23, along with an email contact, to jon(at)indieacoustic.com. No other material is necessary, although a brief bio sheet may be included.
- Recordings that feature electronic instrumentation qualify as long as they contain at least some acoustic instrumentation.
- One award per category will be given, plus an award for Album of the Year (chosen from among the winners).
- The Indie Acoustic Project will determine which category best fits the recording.
- Submissions must be postmarked no later than December 31, 2023.
- Finalists and winners will be notified by email in late March, award certificates will be mailed to all winners in late April.
- All decisions regarding the Awards are made solely at the discretion of the Indie Acoustic Project and are FINAL
Definitions for Selection Purposes:
Acoustic music: Any original music or music inspired by or based on any folk music tradition, but into which new innovations, hybrids, improvisations, or ideas have been added. This definition will include original music, as well as traditional music which has been expanded upon, refined, added to, or blended with another musical form.
Traditional music: For purposes of this project, traditional music is any musical form that has developed into a clearly defined and easily recognizable style. Therefore “traditional” will be used to describe not only regional indigenous musical styles such as traditional Celtic ballads, Appalachian folk songs, traditional West African kora pieces, or sea chanteys; but also jazz, classical, bluegrass, blues, big band, chorale, and gospel.
So, for example, a strictly traditional rendering of either bluegrass or Irish fiddle tunes would not qualify for the IAP Awards, but a version of those same songs where any innovation or cross-cultural aspect has been added (no matter how small) would qualify.